Week 35: Eight months? Trials. Hide the stuffed animal.

I swear I was just here typing the last email. I seriously cannot beleive how fast time is flying by! A month from today I turn 19 and in two days I will hit my 8 month mark on the mission.

8 months. Thats a third of the mission.


I found the sweetest African shirt on the side of the road, but I didnt have a lot of money with me, and I managed to bargain for this puppy for 147 Metacais. Or like 5 dollars. :)

I found the sweetest African shirt on the side of the road, but I didnt have a lot of money with me, and I managed to bargain for this puppy for 147 Metacais. Or like 5 dollars. 🙂

Crazy, crazy crazy. 🙂

This week, went well enough. I think it is safe to say that it went better than last week. Still, not the best week I have had on my mission. And honestly, it wasn’t TOO eventful. But I will try to come up with something to at least be entertaining for you guys. 🙂 Last monday, our P-day went really fast. Normally, we wake up a little early, and go and get everything done so that we can come home and have free time later in the day. Well, last monday we were pretty lazy, didn’t get out the door for a while, and basically only ended up having an hour or two to clean and get all organized for the week. Then, later that night, we had a meeting with President Mabunda, our branch president. He hasn’t been at church for a long time, but managed to squeeze in some time, and meet with us. We talked with him that night for about 3 hours! It was a very long meeting. And very needed. The branch has been puttering along for quite a while, but there are some things that desperately needed to be fixed. Many callings were being filled by people who hadnt been to church in months and despite visits and such, refuse to be reactivated. So the main purpose of the meeting was to figure out who would be called to the positions. It went well, and was productive, but we weren’t able to leave the house/church to do contacts or teach, so that kind of threw off our groove a little bit going into Tuesday. 🙂



This week was tricky in the sense that we found a lot of good couples, and dropped A LOT of couples. For example, Max and Vivi. We taught them on Tuesday or Wednesday, and the lesson went great. They are a wealthy, young couple with a 8 month old daughter. They understood the restoration well, were excited, asked a lot of good questions, and invited us back. We had really high hopes for them! Then, we go back. And only Vivi is there, and she says that Max hasnt come home in like 2 days, he is out drinking with his friends and wont answer her phone calls and she is going to take the daughter and go live with her parents. Yaay.

We ride bikes like pros.

We ride bikes like pros.

Something similar happened with a couple we were teaching named Ricardo and Nucha. They were working on their marriage documents, and we went to teach them, but only she was there. We said we would come back another time, but she said she wanted to talk to us. So we sat down, and she pretty much poured out her sob story to us, about how her parents died when she was young, and then she got married young to have someone to provide for her, but then he died, and she had 3 kids, and then married Ricardo, but that Ricardo is a completely different person when we are there than he is normally, and he is super abusive and won’t pay for them to eat and they havnt eaten in like 2 days and stuff. And seriously, I was really really sad. I felt her pain, and really felt sorry for her. She basically said that she was only staying with him because she has no where else to go. But then, she started saying how she never really liked our church or our message, but if we wanted her to be in our church for the rest of her life we could pay her 500 Metacais and she would never miss a sunday. And then I kind of got a little annoyed. I don’t know. I mean, her situation is terrible, but sometimes people have trouble seeing that the best way that they can solve their familiy problems is through the gospel. Then, Ricardo walked in! We told him we were leaving but he said he wanted to talk, so we said he could meet us at the church the next day. So the next day, he showed up, and we PUMMELED him. We pretty much chewed him out, but we did it lovingly and pretty much said that if he wanted us to keep visiting him, he needed to change his behavior and come to church on Sunday. Guess who didn’t come to church on Sunday.

So yeah. The rest of our week was pretty similar. We spent a lot of time doing street contacts. A LOT of time. We sat with a lot of new families but none of them really stuck out as being amazing.

The branch here is struggling. There are a lot of inactive members, and while we are working on implenting Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching, as of right now it is pretty much non existant. Which means if we want members to come to church, we have to be the ones who visit them. And we are trying, but it is just really hard to keep the branch running as well as do missionary work. There just arent enough hours in the day!

Then came Sunday. It hadn’t rained during the entire week, but we woke up Sunday to pouring rain. Thankfully, the church attendance was better, with 70 people, and we had two families at church. Still, it is pretty lame. None of the new families we taught came, and we did have a husband of one of the families show up but he was a catholic, and pretty much speant the whole time in Sunday School and Elder’s Quorom trying to prove how our church was wrong and asking rediculous questions to our poor teachers who didn’t have a clue.
Thankfully, Sunday night went better. We had family home evening with Paulo, Maculada, and their ginormous family. There are two married couples living there, and like 30 kids. No joke! And family home evening went well, the highlight was definitely the activity, where we played a game my family always played, where we hide a little stuffed animal, while someone is outside of the house, then they come back in and look for it while we sing a song, singing more loudly as they get closer and singer softly as they are far away. They loved it. Everyone was laughing so hard and getting really into it. It was fun to see that even on a different continent and speaking a different language, there will always be someone who will sit on the stuffed animal and make the other people look for it while they are sitting on it. 🙂 Then Walter and Dharmin invited us over for a late dinner, I think they could tell at church that we were a little stressed. Dinner with them went well, was much needed. 🙂
The thing that is saving us out here right now is our attitude. 🙂 Elder Vestia helps with this alot. We understand that everything depends on the Lord, and that this is his work and if we are not having success, it doesn’t nessessarily mean we are being bad missionaries. That sometimes, we just need to be tested a little bit. This week is going to be a lot better. I can just feel it. 🙂
Anyways. I’m doing really good. I love it out here. I am excited to keep working hard and watch the miracles start to happen here.
Love, Elder Poyfair
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: